Do you have places in your home that are less comfortable than the rest? That may be because you have drafts, which are caused by gaps or cracks on the outside of your home.
One place where you will often find gaps is on exterior window frames. You can fix those gaps and improve the comfort of your home with just a few simple steps:
- Look where the window frame meets the side of your house to see if there's a gap. If the gap is less than half an inch, you can seal it with caulk.
- Make sure the area is clean and dry. If there is any existing caulk, scrape it out.
- Choose the right type of exterior caulk. There are different kinds available, but your best bet is silicone or siliconized caulk.
- Cut the tip of the caulk at a 45-degree angle and load it into the caulking gun.
- Run the tip as slowly and evenly as you can along the base of the crack.
- Finish by running a damp finger along the bead to smooth it out.
With just a small investment and a little bit of your time, you can make your home more comfortable and efficient.